Wheat has a bad reputation. Who too much Pasta and pastries, eating, risking, allegedly, not only Obesity, but also of rheumatism, Asthma and many other diseases characterized by chronic inflammation occur or are favored. The is claimed on various websites and in some nutrition counselors. Is there something to it? A “wheat inflammation”, which makes the whole body sick threatens to cake and Pizza Fans at some point?
Yes – in the case of certain pre-existing conditions
Some people get it when they were baking or Pasta have been eaten, diarrhoea, Nausea, flatulence, and other digestive complaints. The cause of inflammatory processes in the intestine, for which different reasons are in fact:
- Celiac disease: The Affected are contained in the wheat protein Gluten do not. Your immune system reacts to the protein as a pathogen. The defense operations will depend, however, erroneously also against the body’s own tissues, namely the mucosa of the small intestine. Therefore, the celiac disease is also to the so-called auto-immune diseases (from the Greek. autós = self) counted. Who doesn’t avoid it ill, and gluten-containing foods consistently, you must expect that the inflammation is chronic. The consequence of this is that the intestinal flatten villi and the small intestine can no longer absorb enough nutrients.
- Wheat Allergy: So do you call it when the immune system is hypersensitive to certain proteins in wheat, responds. A wheat Allergy may be directed against Gluten but also against other wheat proteins. The result of an excessive inflammatory response called the name of that other immune cells are involved as in the case of celiac disease.
- Wheat sensitivity (wheat intolerance): Also in this disease there is inflammation in the gut, but neither an Allergy nor an autoimmune reaction result. The exact mechanisms are not yet clarified. Researchers suspect, however, that the so-called Amylase-Trypsin inhibitors (ATIs) play in the wheat a role. These are proteins that serve of cereal crop protection against insects.
Who is one of these diseases has, in the unfolded wheat, therefore, is undoubtedly an inflammatory effect. This may affect not only the intestine: In the case of wheat Allergy, the symptoms occur frequently also in other parts of the body to the Allergen in contact come are typical are itching, tingling or swelling in the mouth and the nose as well as asthmatic symptoms, and inflammation of the skin.
A celiac disease is not always due to bowel problems. If the Affected your diet is not change, can be inflammation in other organs to spread and, for example, to skin and joint complaints lead. Studies suggest that it behaves in a wheat sensitivity is similar.
In addition, wheat inflammatory diseases such as rheumatism or Asthma increaseif the Affected also have celiac disease, wheat Allergy or wheat sensitivity are suffering.
Who is wheat good can tolerate, usually has to fear is also not a “wheat inflammation” to. Unless, there are mainly food made of white flour on the plate. This acts actually contribute to inflammation , but indirectly:
- Since white flour consists of only the Interior of the grains, it provides significantly less fiber than the whole grain version. Therefore, the contained sugar faster into the blood , what the level of the messenger substance Insulin is strongly increasing.
- Insulin helps the body cells, the sugar from the blood to be incorporated. Is too much Insulin at once distributed, decreases in the blood sugar so rapidly from the body, so to speak, out of fear of lack of power – Hunger signals. That’s why you have to white flour-pastries usually faster hungry than to whole-grain bread.
- On the duration of a white flour-heavy foods can lead, therefore, to develop a total of too much eating and Obesity. Since fat tissue inflammation-promoting substances releases, a high percentage of body fat to chronic inflammation in the body lead.
The inflammation promote other metabolic and cardiovascular diseases, the Overweight often is: Diabetes mellitus type 2, atherosclerosis, hypertension, and in the longer term, heart attacks and strokes.
Conclusion: for the First time to see a doctor
A long-term change in Diet is only necessary, when the wheat actually is not compatible. Whether a celiac or wheat Allergy is the cause, can find out the Ärzin or the doctor by means of appropriate Tests. A wheat sensitivity is yet to be a Test to see, but only through a temporary wheat waiver go to: the complaints this, this speaks for a wheat sensitivity.
Important: a nutrient deficiency to prevent, you should for conversion of professional help seeking. Can help a nutritionist or a dietitian, or is recognized by the health insurance companies.
If you do not suffer from celiac disease, wheat Allergy or wheat sensitivity is ill, there is no reason the wheat from the dining swipe plan. It is important that you as the whole-grain variants preferably, and overall, well-balanced feeds. Regarded as healthy , for example, the Mediterranean diet. Studies have shown that this inflammation can counteract the body even.
Online information from the European centre for Allergy research Foundation (ECARF): www.ecarf.org (retrieval date: 12.12.2019)
Online information of the German Allergy and Asthmabunds: www.daab.de (retrieval date: 12.12.2019)
Online information from My Allergy Portal: www.mein-allergie-portal.com (retrieval date: 12.12.2019)
Online information of Deximed: www.deximed.de (retrieval date: 12.12.2019)
Online information of ANVIL: www.amboss.com (retrieval date: 12.12.2019)
Online Information of the German coeliac society (DZG): www.dzg-online.de (retrieval date: 12.12.2019)
Online information from the cluster of excellence inflammation research: www.inflammation-at-interfaces.de (retrieval date: 12.12.2019)
Ditch the Gluten, Improve Your Health? Online information Harvard Medical School: www.health.harvard.edu (status: 9.11.2019)
Extra-gastrointestinal manifestations of non-celiac gluten sensitivity: an expanding paradigm. World Journal of Gastroenterology, Vol. 24, Iss 14, PP 1521-1530 (April 2018)
Schuppan, D., et al.: Wheat amylase trypsin inhibitors as nutritional activators of innate immunity. Digestive Diseases, Vol. 33, Iss. 2, PP 269-263 (April 2015)
Guideline of the German society of gastroenterology et al.: S2k-guideline on coeliac disease, wheat Allergy and wheat sensitivity. The AWMF guidelines Register no. 021/021 (as of: 30.4.2014)
For More Information
- Gluten-waiver for Healthy: Useful or not?
- Celiac disease: symptoms, diagnosis & Treatment
*The post “inflammation due to wheat: should we be concern?” is published by Onmeda. Contact with the executives here.