The toughest workout of my life could be called “Twinsanity Max 2,” because in November 2017, that is the number of babies my husband, Scott, and I welcomed into our lives.
And that was after five years of baby-making insanity, recruiting egg donors and surrogate moms and waiting to see if our embryos would take.
But when Sander and Silas finally arrived, two minutes apart, that’s when the most wonderfully difficult time in our lives began.
In my book, T Is for Transformation, I wrote about “7 Superpowers” that guide my life. That was before we had kids.
Now that they’re here, I’m trying to practice four “superdad” powers. (Why not seven? I’m a dad now! Who has time for seven?)
I’m not perfect at them, but I have two tiny life coaches teaching me new stuff every day—even when they should be sleeping, or I should be.
Power #1: Change!
Kids aren’t welcoming you into their lives. You’re welcoming them into yours. And that’s a good thing, because their world is a mess sometimes.
Make your kids part of the best life you want to lead, and they’ll match or beat it when they grow up. If I want to be a good dad and husband and keep my work going and still play tennis, I need to be more efficient.
What changes are you willing to make to fit in more kids, more fun, and better health?
Power #2: Anticipate!
Scott and I try to be especially in tune with each other to make sure that when one of us is at the breaking point, the other can step in. Find your support systems to prevent stress and its toll from becoming permanent.
Scott’s the captain of the ship, and I’m the cruise director. He keeps us organized, I make sure we’re still having fun, and we both watch out for the balance.
View this post on Instagram
Summer loving happened so fast…
A post shared by Shaun T (@shaunt) on
Power #3: Indulge!
Knowing as much as I do about fitness and nutrition, I still gained seven pounds after the boys were born. The secret, I later found, is in what I call the 85/15 approach. We keep the mix healthy 85 percent of the time while also making sure french fries are available (the other 15 percent).
We let Sander and Silas roam everywhere in our house: no barriers. It gives them a sense of freedom, and they’re not in front of the TV all the time.
Power #4: Be You (Despite #1)!
I don’t coach my sons; I set an example instead. Scott and I are kind to each other (except sometimes during a 3:00 a.m. crying fit), eat the right foods (except french fries—15 percent fun, remember?), and maintain our exercise habits (no exceptions).
We won’t have to nag and harass our kids, because they’re watching us do it right most of the time. And that’s the best inheritance a kid can have.
—Shaun T has created the Insanity workout, T25, and Cize. His latest program is Transformation :20
Source: Read Full Article